It's hard to believe that The Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center, one of the largest nonprofit voluntary teaching hospitals in Brooklyn, began as just one small building rising amid the vacant fields and scattered farms where the towns of Brownsville, East New York and Canarsie come together.
Today, the hospital covers a 10-acre campus plus six ambulatory care sites (Brookdale Family Care Centers
), with buildings devoted to inpatient, ambulatory, long-term care, senior living and emergency medicine, and has the latest technology for service to our community.
The original building has endured and so too has the spirit and philosophy of the men and women who struggled to build, equip and staff what they termed a haven of healing for all who needed it.
While it was "small change"--literally nickels, dimes and the occasional dollar--that the founders collected to build their hospital, there was nothing small about their vision. Members of the Jewish community wanted a hospital that served people of all races and creeds in a humanitarian manner.
Here are a few highlights:
- In 1910 residents of Brownsville and East New York organize to build a voluntary nonprofit community hospital.
- In 1914 the Brownsville and East New York Hospital Society chartered.
- On April 11, 1921, the Brownsville and East New York Hospital opened with 75 beds.
- In 1928, a new four-story Maternity Pavilion is completed, bringing beds to 170.
- During the 1930s, the hospital extends services beyond East New York.
- Renamed Beth-El Hospital in 1932.
- From 1945 to 1950 the Physicians' residency programs expand and the nursing training programs initiated.
- In 1997, the Linroc Nursing Home is renamed the Dorothy and David Schachne Institute for Nursing and Rehabilitation.
- 1998 brought the completion of a $200 million Major Modernization Project which includes state-of-the-art technology and major improvements to the facility's infrastructure all to take the institution well into the 21st century.
- The Arlene and David Schlang Pavilion, senior citizens housing for residents who can live independently and for those who require an Assisted Living Program opens its doors in 1998.
- In 2000 Brookdale's two nursing homes, Dorothy and David Schachne Institute and Samuel and Bertha Schulman Institute, merge becoming the Schulman and Schachne Institute for Nursing and Rehabilitation.
- The Schulman and Schachne Institute Adult Day Health Care Program opens its doors in 2004.
- The Radutzky Emergency Care Pavilion completes a major expansion in 2004.
- In 2005 Brookdale becomes a 911 receiving Stroke Center.
- In 2006 Advanced Bariatric Care Center for Healthy Weight Loss opens its doors to provide specialized and individualized care for patients interested in losing weight and/or contemplating undergoing weight loss surgery.
- The Alumni Hall Auditorium is renamed the Sonja and Dr. Alvin I. Kahn Auditorium in the fall of 2006.
- In 2008 High Definition Robotics Surgery comes to Brookdale with the DaVinci SHD Surgical System. Brookdale has acquired the first DaVinci S HD Robotic technology surgical system in Brooklyn to provide its community with state-of-the-art minimally invasive, urologic, gynecologic and general surgery procedures.
- In 2008 the Digestive Health Center opens.
- In 2010 a state-of-the-art Coronary Critical Care Unit opens with six private rooms.
- In 2012 a separate child friendly pediatric Ambulatory Infusion Unit was built on the pediatric inpatient floor.