In 1921 the Brownsville and East New York Hospital opened its doors with 75 beds. Today, we're called The Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center, and in our determination to bring to the community the best medical and health care possible, we have greatly stretched the boundaries envisioned by our founders.
The Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center has:
- 530 certified acute-care beds.
- 448 skilled nursing beds in our affiliated Schulman and Schachne Institute for Nursing and Rehabilitation.
- 86 units of assisted living and independent living housing in the Arlene and David Schlang Pavilion.
- A comprehensive Adult Day Care Center.
- 3/M to Rockaway Avenue
- L to New Lots Avenue
- B8 Brownsville/Rockaway Avenue
- B35 E 98 St/Hegeman Avenue
Some services operate 24 Hours a day
Dr. Offices: 8 am - 5 pm
- A comprehensive health center with an advanced 16-level, fully equipped inpatient facility.
- A newly renovated, state-of-the art Emergency Department with a Level I Trauma Center and a full range of 24-hour emergency services.
- Outpatient services that include more than 50 specialty clinics, a community mental health center, an ambulatory surgery center and a 16-chair dental suite.
- Newly renovated OB space with Labor, Delivery, and Recovery Suites.
- Six primary care Brookdale Family Care Centers, located in the outlying communities.